Effective: July 31, 2020
What Information We Collect and Maintain About You
We collect personal and other information from you directly when you provide it to us through the Services. We may also automatically collect certain information about you and your computer, smartphone, or other device when you use, access, or interact with our Services.
Personal information you provide.
We may collect personal information from you through the Services in the following ways:
- Your phone number for text messages. When you provide us with your phone number in order to make a verified pick or when you make an account with us, we may send you text messages.
- Account information. We collect information when you create an account or edit your profile, such as your name, phone number, password, email address, birthdate, and photo or avatar (optional).
- Leaderboard information and results. We collect information about the Leaderboards in which you participate and your results with respect to each pick and overall on the leaderboard.
- Location information. At your option, you can provide us with your hometown. With your consent, we may also automatically collect location information associated your use of the Services.
- Social media information. You may choose to log in to the Services using a third-party social media service, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Google. If you do so, we may collect information about you from the social media provider, including, for example, your username, email address, and available profile information, such as your public profile URL, profile photo, birthdate, gender, and address. We will ask for your consent prior to your logging in to the Services using your social media account or connecting your social media account to the Services. If you provide such consent, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to provide us with information about your social media connections.
- Surveys. From time to time, we may ask our users to provide us with feedback through surveys or interviews to help us improve the Services. Such surveys or interviews may be used to collect information about you. Participation in these surveys and interviews is completely voluntary, and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose your information.
- Other personal information you provide. You can visit the Services without submitting any information that we can use to identify you personally. However, if you use certain features on the Services, such as sign up for our newsletter, we will collect your personal information. Such information could include, for example, your name, email address, or phone number.
- Server logs.
- Server logs automatically record information and details about your online interactions with us. For example, server logs may record information about your visit to our Services on a particular time and day and collect information such as your IP address or your device ID.
A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon, clear GIF, pixel, or tag) is an image or a small string of code that may be placed in a website, advertisement, or email. It allows companies to set or read cookies or transfer information to their servers when you load a webpage or interact with online content. For example, we or our service providers may use pixel tags to determine whether you have interacted with a specific part of our Services, viewed a particular advertisement, or opened a specific email.
The Services or the emails that you receive from YouBet may use an application known as a “web beacon” (also known as a “clear gif” or “web bug”). A web beacon is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include personal information. For example, it can allow an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email.
SDKs and mobile advertising IDs.
Our Services may include third-party software development kits (“SDKs”) that allow us and our service providers to collect information about your activity. In addition, some mobile devices come with a resettable advertising ID (such as Apple’s IDFA and Google’s Advertising ID) that, like cookies and pixel tags, allow us and our service providers to identify your mobile device over time for advertising purposes.
Our Services may include plugins from other companies, including social media companies (e.g., the Facebook “Like” button). These plugins may collect information, such as information about the pages you visit, and share it with the company that created the plugin even if you do not click on the plugin. These third-party plugins are governed by the privacy policies and terms of the companies that created them.
Third-party online tracking and advertising.
We also may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the personal and other information described in this section. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use web beacons on the Services or in email communications from us. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including online website analytics and interest-based advertising, as described below.
Aggregated and deidentified information.
From time to time, we may also collect and share aggregated or deidentified information about Service users, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Services. Such aggregated or deidentified information will not identify you personally.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information that we collect for a variety of purposes, including to:
- Respond to your questions or requests concerning the Services offered by us;
- Fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us;
- Fulfill your requests for our Services or otherwise complete a transaction that you initiate;
- Send you information about our Services and other topics that are likely to be of interest to you, including newsletters, updates, or other communications, including promotional emails and advertising;
- Deliver confirmations, account information, notifications, and similar operational communications;
- Send you text messages regarding the status and results of your picks, information about how to make an account with us, and promotions that are available to you;
- Improve your user experience and the quality of our products and services;
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements;
- Count and recognize visitors to the Services;
- Analyze how visitors use the Services and its various features;
- Improve the Services and enhance users’ experiences with the Services;
- Create new products and services or improve our existing products and Services;
- Enable additional website analytics and research concerning the Services;
- Engage in interest-based advertising (as described below); and
- Manage our business.
We may link information gathered through the Services with information that we collect in other contexts. But in that event, we will handle the combined information in a manner consistent with this Policy.
With Whom and Why We Share Your Information
We share your information with other parties for a variety of purposes, as described below.
We may share your information with our partners with whom we work to provide you with picks, leaderboards, and prizes. Our partners may send you text messages regarding prizes that you may be eligible for based on your picks.
As part of the Services, we maintain leaderboards where our users can track their success against other users. The leaderboards display each user’s first name and the first initial of the user’s last name along with the user’s hometown, if the user has provided a hometown in their profile. In addition, users can view other users’ picks and results in each Leaderboard in which the user participates. Users can also create Leaderboards and invite other users to participate by searching through users. Users may also invite individuals who are not currently users of the Services to join through text message or email.
The Services also enable third-party tracking mechanisms to collect information about you and your computing devices for use in online interest-based advertising. For example, third parties may use the fact that you visited our Site to target online ads to you. In addition, our third-party advertising networks, such as Facebook, might use information about your use of our Site to help target advertisements based on your online activity in general. For information about interest-based advertising practices, including privacy and confidentiality, visit the Network Advertising Initiative website or the Digital Advertising Alliance website.
The use of online tracking mechanisms by third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and not this Policy. If you prefer to prevent third parties from setting and accessing cookies on your computer or other device, you may set your browser to block cookies. Additionally, you may remove yourself from the targeted advertising of companies within the Network Advertising Initiative by opting out here, or of companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance by opting out here. Although our Services currently do not respond to “do not track” browser headers, you can limit tracking through these third-party programs and by taking the other steps discussed above.
You can also opt out of interest-based advertising in mobile apps by adjusting the advertising preferences on your mobile device. In iOS, visit Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking. In Android, visit Settings > Google > Ads > Opt out of interest-based ads or Opt out of Personalized Advertising.
Please note that the opt-outs described above will apply only to the specific browser or device from which you opt out, and therefore you will need to opt out separately on all of your browsers and devices. If you delete or reset your cookies or mobile advertising identifiers, change browsers (including upgrading certain browsers), or use a different device, any opt-out cookie or tool may no longer work and you will need to opt out again.
Third-party service providers.
We use third-party service providers that perform services on our behalf, including web-hosting companies, mailing vendors, and analytics providers. These service providers may collect and/or use your information, including information that identifies you personally, to assist us in achieving the purposes discussed above.
We may share your information with other third parties when necessary to fulfill your requests for services; to complete a transaction that you initiate; to meet the terms of any agreement that you have with us or our partners; or to manage our business.
We also may use or share your information with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, or other legal process; To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party; To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or To facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets.
You may edit your profile, including your name, email address, password, hometown, and photo in the Profile section of the Services. To opt out of receiving marketing communications or newsletters from us, follow the instructions in those emails or email us at email@example.com. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, you will still receive administrative messages. You may have additional rights under applicable laws to request access to, correction of, deletion of, or restrictions on the processing of certain information. You also may have rights under applicable laws to opt out of or withdraw consent to further processing, request copies of your data, or lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in your jurisdiction. To make such request and/or inquire about such rights, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a California resident, you have a right to request certain information with respect to the types of personal information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and the identities of those third parties, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. All requests for such information must be sent to email@example.com. California law permits us to provide you, in response to your written request, with a cost-free means to choose not to have your information shared rather than providing the above described information.
We employ physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard the personal information we collect online. However, no website is 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to the Services or to us, and you transmit such information at your own risk.
We retain personal information about you necessary to fulfill the purpose for which that information was collected or as required or permitted by law. We do not retain personal information longer than is necessary for us to achieve the purposes for which we collected it. When we destroy your personal information, we do so in a way that prevents that information from being restored or reconstructed.
The information that we collect through or in connection with the Services is transferred to and processed in the United States for the purposes described above. We also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, affiliates or third parties in the United States or countries other than your country of residence. The data-protection laws in these countries may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence. By using the Services or by providing any personal or other information to us, you expressly consent to such transfer and processing.
Content on the Services is directed at individuals over the age of 18 and is not directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
Changes to this Policy
We may make changes to the Services in the future and as a consequence will need to revise this Policy to reflect those changes. We will post all such changes on the Services, so you should review this page periodically.
How to Contact Us
Should you have any questions or concerns about this Policy, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.